Thursday, December 10, 2009


This past year, I really have begun to think about the foods I am placing in my mouth. I have always tried to eat in a semi-healthy manner, but lately I have found that even things I have believed to be "healthy" might not really be that good for me after all.

In one of my classes, for extra credit, we were allowed to watch Food Inc., or the Great Debaters. My desire to be more wise about the food I eat (and the fact that Oprah is a producer for the Great Debater) led me to watch Food Inc. It was really good and started to peak an interest in organic foods.

I was checking my e-mail and on yahoo, news stories pop up before you log in. 7 Foods Experts Won't Eat, popped up. Here is the list:

1. Canned Tomatoes
2. Corn-Fed Beef: For Grass Fed Beef Click HERE: YONDER WAY FARM
3. Microwave Popcorn
4. Non organic Potatoes
5. Farmed Salmon
6. Milk Produced with Artificial Hormones
7. Conventional Apples

You can check out the reasons and explanations by clicking the link above.

Now, let me clue you in to one thing about college folk, we are dirt poor! So, how on earth am I going to buy organic? It is so expensive. While I was checking out this list of what I should not be placing in my mouth, or cooking for other people, I found this link to finding and buying organic foods at a smarter and cheaper rate. How to Pay Less for Organic. I was really encouraged and feel a lot better about the foods I am buying.

1 comment:

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

oh girl! thanks for the linkage!

this is way exciting. i can't believe that one of your choices was Food Inc....incredible. We love that movie! Jason is buds with the farmer (Joel Salatin) in the movie. Have pictures of them together and everything! Isn't that neat! He is the pioneer of farming the way we do.

baby steps are really really good! don't get overwhelmed and try to change it all at one. its a process. you check out the farmer's market in Bryan or College Station and start there. our farm delivers to College Station once a month too!

I would love to see you over the holiday! Let me know if you come here for any length of time and maybe we can get coffee one night:)

Love ya!